Already working within the education profession and want to learn how to further career possibilities? If so, earning a master’s degree or doctoral (PhD) degree may further chances of pay, career advancements, as well as entering other sectors such as administration.

Those seeking advanced degrees in education should be continually furthering their own learning experience through advanced teaching methods, state requirement updates, and additional opportunities that exist in education.

If you are a new teacher, we have answers to common questions that require experienced educators that provide insight and knowledge you won’t find in a classroom. Retired teachers have unmatched experience and knowledge and are still in high demand throughout education. No matter where one is on the path to becoming a teacher, one thing is certain: you are here to educate our future leaders and are doing so in a fun, energetic, knowledgeable manner.

Common Questions:

Q: I am a retired teacher but want to stay active within the teaching community. How do I do so?
A: Retired teachers have options: substituting is one many find enjoyable and satisfying. Another is educating adult learners. Both options provide flexibility and allow educators to continue their passion and expertise for their subject. Often retired teachers are excellent at reaching broad audiences and have the experience needed it takes. Experience and teaching methods prove there is opportunity after retirement for teachers.

Q: I am transferring to a different state and want to find out the teaching requirements.
A: First, contact the state’s education department and learn the requirements and guidelines, including hours needed in order to obtain certain teaching certificates. Most states require a teacher to obtain a bachelor’s degree and pass a state-licensing exam. Most states have a teaching reciprocity program that allows current teachers easier transitions between states. Some states have guidelines and timeframes that must be met in addition to transferring credentials.

Q: I am a recent college graduate and need help finding a teaching job. Where do I begin?
A: Begin by working directly with your universities career center. Often they have the most current, up-to date teaching positions with the most information. A second search method should be through school district websites. Often school districts will advertise teaching positions as well as how to apply for a teaching job. Network!

Q: What is the best way to position myself within the administration profession of teaching?
A: First off, earning a degree in education with a focus on administration such as early childhood administration degrees, high school administration degrees, or education administration degrees. Individuals seeking to begin a career in leadership, headmaster roles, or administration usually seek these degrees. Those who already obtain a bachelor’s degree in teaching can earn a master’s degree or doctoral (PhD) degree and enter administration with expertise and confidence. The best chance of entering administration roles is positioning oneself well by earning a master’s degree or doctoral along with valuable classroom experience. The more one works in the numerous fields within education, the better chance one has at entering administration roles.

Q: I have earned my teaching degree in a different country. Can I teach in the United States?
A: Most states do not accept teaching certificates earned outside of the United States. However, some allow teachers to apply for provisional teaching certificates while completing the requirements needed in order to teach in the US. The length of varies per state so it is best to contact that state’s department of education.

Q: I’ve been an elementary school teacher and want to begin teaching college courses. How do I start?
A: Transiting grade levels in essence are like transitioning professions. Elementary teachers approach teaching in a much different fashion than a teacher of college students. Although the basic fundamentals are there, it is a good idea to take a few refresher courses on adult teaching. Through this journey you may find one of two things: you truly enjoy teaching adults or the latter, you want to remain an elementary teacher after all. Continuing education is always a smart investment to your overall well being within the educational world.

Q: Why do I need to earn a master’s degree or doctorate (PhD) degree? What are the benefits to me as a teacher?
A: Several studies point out advanced degrees (both master and doctorate degrees) help to position one in key areas. Pay is obviously a major factor – even though most teachers are in education for the love of creating life long learners. Leading is by example. Second reason earning a master’s degree or higher is a good idea, career opportunities. Those who hold advanced degrees are more likely able to apply for higher paid positions with gained leadership and freedom within these roles. Finally, but surely not last, teachers with bachelor’s degrees understand the most important role for teachers is education. This also means continuing to educate oneself. Keep in mind many universities today often offer degree programs fit for your needs and lifestyle.

These are just a few common questions of people either entering the education profession, who are already teachers, or are retired teachers looking to stay active within the teaching community. More over, these answers provide current, relevant information for those at any stage interested in creating life long learners. Use the abundant resources available, network, and advance yourself with a degree today!