For Those With a Bachelors Degree
With a bachelor’s degree behind you, one is well on their way to learning the many advantages of earning a master’s degree in education. Follow the steps below to learn how to excel the teacher within!
- Scroll down to request a variety of complimentary program and school information
- If you have earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Education in conjunction with an accredited Teacher Preparation Program, you have already fulfilled essential academic and teacher preparation requirements. Teacher Preparation Programs include coursework and classroom observations, fieldwork, and student teaching. Successful completion of all degree and teacher preparation requirements will qualify you to apply for a teaching certificate or license.
- If you received your Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree in the specific subject you wish to teach, you may have already satisfied some certificate programs’ recommended academic requirements. Majoring in a specific subject taught at the secondary school level prepares individuals to become endorsed or qualified to teach high school and middle school classes in that content area.
- Individuals who have already completed a non-education related Bachelor’s degree, can choose from a few different pathways leading to teacher licensure. For example, you can enroll in a graduate-level teacher preparation program that will allow you to earn a Master’s degree and to complete the coursework necessary to be eligible for a first-stage teaching license. Another option is to find a post-baccalaureate licensure programs for candidates who already hold Bachelor’s degrees.
- The basic steps toward licensing include: earning an Education-focused Bachelor’s or Master’s degree combined with an Educator Preparation program, or a degree plus post-baccalaureate Teacher Preparation curricula approved by the state of Oregon; fulfilling student teaching requirements and other experiential hours; and passing all of Oregon’s required teacher licensure knowledge, skills and subject matter exams. Once you have succeeded in completing these steps and have been recommended by your university, you will be eligible to apply for and be issued an Initial License to teach.