Find an Education Path For Teaching in
New Hampshire, (NH)

New Hampshire requires that any students who want to be teachers must follow certain steps. The first step depends on how far you have progressed on the path toward reaching your goal. Please select the highest level of education that you have achieved, and we will guide you through the steps needed to advance towards a teaching career in New Hampshire.

Choose Your Highest Level of Education

The information below will help you discover the steps you should take to become a teacher in New Hampshire.

If You Have a High School Diploma or a GED

Students who have earned a high school diploma or a GED certificate and meet other college entrance requirements are eligible for admittance to two-year colleges or four-year universities.
Bachelor’s degree programs in the education field require students to have graduated from high school in order to be accepted into a four-year university degree program.

  1. Learn about accredited schools that offer Associate degrees or Bachelor’s degrees focusing on education, specific academic content areas or student populations.
  2. Decide what grade level and subject area you are interested in teaching.
  3. Contact colleges that fit your needs, and request information to help you make a decision about what school to attend and what degree program to pursue.

If You Have Completed Some College or Earned an Associate’s Degree

Associate degrees and certificates earned from two-year colleges can qualify students for a number of different academic or career options. Community colleges offer certification programs that train students to begin working with young children as soon as they receive the certificate. Some students use the time they spend at an accredited two-year college to earn an Associate degree, which can allow them to complete general education classes that will satisfy core requirements for a Bachelor’s Degree.

  1. Some two-year and community colleges offer Associate in Arts Degrees in Teacher Education or Elementary Education. These two-year degrees are designed to provide students with an introduction to and an understanding of the teaching profession. Students who successfully complete these Associate degrees will be qualified to transfer into Teacher Education Programs at four-year colleges and universities. Future teachers are encouraged to acquire experience with children in school settings.
  2. Investigate various state-approved Bachelor’s degree programs to find out which ones will accept transfer credits from the college you attended. Contact the schools that interest you to request more information.
  3. Some aspiring teachers, who have earned Associate Degrees or Credentials in Early Childhood Education, choose to seek employment shortly after graduation. A certificate or Associate degree in Early Childhood Education, may qualify you to begin working as a teaching assistant or child caretaker with infants, toddlers and pre-school children at Head Start, preschools, childcare organizations or before- and after-school programs.

If You Have a Bachelor’s Degree

All states, including New Hampshire, require that, before applying for a teaching certificate, aspiring teachers must have a bachelor’s degree and complete an accredited teacher preparation program. Bachelor’s Degrees (B.A.) with an Education emphasis generally separate the B.A. majors by grade level, as well as by subject area for future secondary school teachers. Bachelor’s degrees are available for Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education and subject-specific Secondary Education. A teaching candidate seeking professional certification must complete all requirements mandated by the state before submitting an application and supporting documents to the New Hampshire Bureau of Teacher Education and Professional Standards.

  1. If you have earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Education in conjunction with an accredited Teacher Preparation Program, you have already fulfilled essential academic and teacher preparation requirements. Teacher Preparation Programs include coursework and classroom observations, fieldwork, and student teaching. Successful completion of all degree and teacher preparation requirements will qualify you to apply for a teaching certificate or license.
  2. Education or Teaching degree programs at four-year universities require all prospective educators to pass the Praxis I Basic Skills test, which includes Reading, Writing, and Mathematics assessments. Some universities expect students to successfully complete the Praxis I before being admitted to the Teacher Preparation component of the Bachelor’s or Master’s of Education degree program. The Praxis II Content and Knowledge Assessment tests are required for the specified subject areas aspiring secondary school educators plan to teach. Exemptions to the Praxis II requirement are granted to students seeking Elementary or Early Childhood Certification and to individuals with a Masters degree or higher in the specific content area.
  3. Receiving a Bachelor’s degree with a major in liberal studies can be an important step toward certification as an Elementary level teacher. Some certification programs recommend the Liberal Arts major, because it prepares educators to teach in the many different subject areas taught in Elementary school classrooms.
  4. If you received your Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree in the specific subject you wish to teach, you may have already satisfied some certificate programs’ recommended academic requirements. Majoring in a specific subject taught at the secondary school level prepares individuals to become endorsed or qualified to teach high school and middle school classes in that content area.
  5. New Hampshire offers Teaching Certification Conversion Programs, which are designed for college graduates with Bachelor’s degrees in subjects other than Education, who have decided they want to be teachers. Students have to complete only the classes needed to fulfill New Hampshire’s Standards for teacher certification. The number of credits necessary will depend on the individual’s background. Conversion programs are offered at the undergraduate and graduate levels, but they are not degree programs. Students must meet all requirements of the teacher certification program, including general knowledge competency and supervised student teaching. Conversion certification is offered in Early Childhood, Elementary, and Secondary Education. Another route toward certification for college graduates who have a non-Education Bachelor’s degree is to complete a Master of Education major combined with a Teacher Preparation program.
  6. Teaching candidates are eligible to submit an application for the New Hampshire Beginning Educator Certificate only after they have earned their Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, successfully completed an approved Teacher Education Program, satisfied your student teaching hours and an Internship, and passed all mandatory basic skills, knowledge, and content area exams. Also required are recommendations from professors and supervisors, as well as an official Background Check.

If You Have a Master’s Degree or are in a Master’s Degree program

New Hampshire educators may choose to continue their academic work by enrolling in a Master’s degree program. Master of Education or Master of Arts in Teaching curricula usually include the required Teacher Preparation program and will guide you toward satisfying the other requirements necessary to apply for a New Hampshire teaching certificate. There are a number of Master’s degree programs to choose from, such as the Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Early Childhood Education, the M.Ed. in Elementary Education or the Master of Arts in Teaching: Secondary Education. If you already have a Master’s degree, you may be interested in advancing toward a doctorate degree in fields such as Early Childhood Education, Curriculum and Instruction, or Literacy and Schooling

  1. Accredited universities with graduate programs in education offer a range of Master’s degrees that can lead you to a teaching license and a career as an educator. Master of Arts or Master of Science in Education, or Master of Education (M.Ed.) degrees may be offered concurrently with a Teacher Preparation program that is required for certification. You may also have the opportunity to focus on Elementary or Secondary Education, with an emphasis on the subject area you hope to teach.
  2. When you are ready to begin your teaching career, you must demonstrate that you have completed all requirements for certification or licensure. These steps include finishing required academic coursework, completing an approved Teacher Preparation Program, passing mandated tests, and fulfilling student teaching hours. The next step is to apply for your teaching certificate and begin searching for a job in the education field. Contact the New Hampshire Department of Education to request an application.
  3. Some people who have earned a Master’s degree in Education may decide to continue their education and pursue a doctoral degree. Earning an Educational Doctor of Philosophy degree (Ph.D.) or a Doctorate in Education (Ed.D.) may increase your opportunities for a better job and a higher income. Gathering information about available doctorate degrees in your field or specialty will provide the information necessary to discover the best university and education program to meet your needs.